Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sandplay Therapy and Color Swatch Memory Game


When at the local home improvement store, I never fail to visit the paint dept., you'll know why if you saw my house - very colorful! :-) In picking color swatches over time, I decided we could perhaps create a game - a memory game (we've been playing this for a long time but haven't posted about this until today). Lay it out as in picture - 2 of each color. Turn them over and begin play! Turn over two at a time to reveal color and if correct, remains open; if not, close them again. We play single colors as well as mixture of colors as seen above. Finally, E grades them according to color intensity (for same color). At the same time, he gets to hear and say all the lovely invented color names and witness all the possibilities in colors.
Last afternoon, as I was preparing to cook supper, E came into the kitchen, filled a pot with water and started experimenting with my gel food colors. He made colored water by whisking the colors into the water, mixing them so see changes, etc. Pretty fun experiment for my little guy.
E has been writing a lot in his journal, workbook, pieces of paper..............and to reinforce the learning of this art in a fun manner, I prepared a tray (baking sheet) of colored sand for him to practice on. I put just enough sand in it so that it covers the tray surface when I shake just a little to level it all out. This is so that when he runs his finger through it for writing numbers and alphabets, the letters and numbers show up clearly - the surface of the tray is revealed without too much sand in the way. After practicing, I then put in a lot more and so that he can play construction or whatever else his little heart pleases. A whole lot of soothing therapy for anyone at any age! E loves this!

No comments: