Monday, June 14, 2010

Reminder

"Your children are not your children," writes poet Kahlil Gibran. "They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They came through you but not from you and though they are with you yet they belong not to you."

I am humbled as I ponder upon these sagacious words. The initiation is ongoing. I have S who has graduated and is going on to a new class to learn skills for sheltered workshops in preparation for days when he can no longer attend school. Then there is K who is headed to high school and in essence, could be headed to college in 3 years. That just stuns me. E is leaving me a little quieter in the afternoons for kindergarten and that's in two months! Little Miss M is no longer baby baby........a little girl is fast emerging and sometimes all these exist as disparate bits and pieces in my mind that is reluctant to accept the constant recasting of our lives. I realize this is just the prelude to a bigger unknown story. While exciting in its mystery, I am a little overwhelmed at times, worried a tad too much and learning to be accepting of it all. I need to remind self who have children that need me to organize their lives and one who is further along the journey towards the valuable knowledge of selfhood to step aside and step in when appropriate. With K, I am understanding that more and more faith will have to transcend reason...............

No comments: